The Kingfisher is a full colour, glossy magazine with articles and news about birds in Hampshire. There are regular features including the Walks programme and Recent Reports and Hampshire Highlights, occasional book reviews, trip reports, crosswords, as well as an outstanding selection of photos of Hampshire birds taken by Hampshire birders.
It is published in February, July and November. The latest edition published in July 2021 includes articles on
- HOS’ Young Member Programme
- HOS Young Member – Alex Grainger
- Georgie Darby – HOS’ new Surveys Officer
- Sad News – Chester, Winchester’s male Peregrine
- The Storm Ahead – Part 2 by Andy Lester
- HOS’ Scientific Committee
- HOS AGM and Members’ Day 2021 – Summary in Pictures
- Hayling Island Ringed Plovers by Trevor Codlin
- What to look for in Summer by Keith Betton
- Starling Project by Brenda Cook
- The Idiot Birder by Matt Hill
- Bird Photography, Then and Now by Roger Sharp
- Experiences of a Female Birder by Claire Levee
- HOS gets Coverage on the BBC’s Springwatch
- An Opportunity to Own Photographic History by Rosemary Billet & Michael Burnop
- Book Review – What is a Bird? by Tony Williams. Review by Keith Betton
For information about the Newsletter, including contributions and advertising, please contact the editor, Barry Page – email: Barry Page.
Deadline for next issue is September 15th, 2021.
For members who would prefer to receive an electronic version of Kingfisher, instead of a paper copy, please send an email to eKingfisher@hos.org.uk, with a Subject line containing the member’s name and Post code.
Previous copies of Kingfisher can be downloaded below.